Monday, April 13, 2009

Wow!

That was fun. Hope I didn't sound to crappy. It seemed appropriate to play O Positive's "Up, Up, Up" as one of the final songs for my first Houndstooth Radio show. One of my major decisions as WFNX/Boston new Music Director in November, 1985 was to put O Positive's "Only Breathing" EP into heavy rotation. The other was to decide 'FNX wasn't going to play mainstream AOR or Pop radio shit anymore making WFNX the first truly 100% "alternative" station (sorry kids, but KROQ, WLIR, WHFS, etc., didn't come to this realization for almost a year or later if ever).

Wouldn't you know it but the very first time I personally played "Up, Up, Up" on the air O+'s brilliant but anal guitar player Alan Petitti called me up. "Check your turntables. You're playing our song too slow!", Al said. "Nice to meet you too, Al", I thought to myself. "Sorry I'm playing your fucking song a little too slow four more times a day than anyone else in their right fucking mind would ever do."

But Alan was absolutely right. I soon became fast friends w/O+ - the best of people. "Say Goodbye" was the final song I played on WFNX,

No comments:

Post a Comment